Maternity leave - help!!!

Breffni

I currently work as a SEN classroom assistant in a secondary school. I'm meeting with my manager on Monday to hand in my request for maternity leave, but I have no idea when is sensible to go off. 

I had a scan yesterday, and asked the doctor when she thinks we should expect the babies to make an appearance. She said if I don't go myself by 37 weeks they will take me in. Am I completely out of my mind crazy to plan to work until 35 weeks? 

When did you take maternity leave? And when did you have the babies?

I just don't want to make the wrong decision 🙈

Thanks in advance 😊

I think if you are well and can cope then go as long as you can. 

I stopped at 30 weeks - I used two weeks holiday so my maternity started at 32 weeks - I have to say by that point I had had enough , driving was impossible for me!! I am a Dental nurse and I gave up on surgery duties at around 25 weeks and was just on reception light duties! 

I had the babies at 36+4 elective cesarean.

Are you having identicals? 

Xxx

• Like 1

Thanks Issy, having boy/girl twins.

I'm hoping to work as long as I can, to get more time after, and my job is primarily sitting in class, and helping with notes, so duties are relatively light as it is. We are lucky in school to have a lift, so I don't have to do too many stairs. 

I know it's not really my concern, but I'm trying to give as good of an idea as I can as my replacement will have to be interviewed and vetted before I go off, and my student has had 4 assistants in as many years and doesn't deal with change too good.

1 hour ago, Breffni said:

Thanks Issy, having boy/girl twins.

I'm hoping to work as long as I can, to get more time after, and my job is primarily sitting in class, and helping with notes, so duties are relatively light as it is. We are lucky in school to have a lift, so I don't have to do too many stairs. 

I know it's not really my concern, but I'm trying to give as good of an idea as I can as my replacement will have to be interviewed and vetted before I go off, and my student has had 4 assistants in as many years and doesn't deal with change too good.

Oh gosh that's quite disrupting for your student isn't it 🙈 sounds like they are lucky to have you ❤️ 

I think just try and go with the flow, plan for a certain date and see how you go, you can't do much more than that!  One of my colleagues finished work on a Friday and by Saturday morning at 5am she had given birth to a little girl at 30weeks.. so we all had to adapt.. she she was absolutely fine when she left work ! So even the best made plans sometimes go awry - and that's okay! People will cope ❤️

I think just remember that don't feel that you have to stay to please anyone, this is such a special time for you and what's important is you get lots of rest and time before they come and to enjoy the peace !! ❤️❤️ 

Xxxx

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Breffni said:

I currently work as a SEN classroom assistant in a secondary school. I'm meeting with my manager on Monday to hand in my request for maternity leave, but I have no idea when is sensible to go off. 

I had a scan yesterday, and asked the doctor when she thinks we should expect the babies to make an appearance. She said if I don't go myself by 37 weeks they will take me in. Am I completely out of my mind crazy to plan to work until 35 weeks? 

Thanks in advance 😊

@Breffni I'm a whole different case for twin pregnancy to @Issy!! I was hoping to last until at least 32 weeks but the girls had other ideas as I was in and out of hospital from 28 weeks so finished work at 29 weeks, had one week sick and then holiday from 30 weeks and girls arrived at 34 weeks (so my maternity leave actually started the day the girls were born!) 

I'm pleased I didn't stretch it out for any longer! If you put down 35 weeks worst case scenario is that you get a sick note for the weeks prior to that or just take an earlier maternity. Just really depends on how you are feeling and I wouldn't stress too much - just go with what your body is telling you at the time! 

Good luck and only do what is right for you and as @Issy said don't try and please anyone - you and the babies are more important!

xx

8 hours ago, Breffni said:

Thanks in advance 😊

I went to 36 weeks, how I have no idea (worked 50hrs a week in a children’s nursery) I had my twins at 38 weeks,I gave my employer a date for leaving but also said if things change I may go earlier and they were really understanding. 

Just now, Clairey V said:

I went to 36 weeks, how I have no idea (worked 50hrs a week in a children’s nursery) I had my twins at 38 weeks,I gave my employer a date for leaving but also said if things change I may go earlier and they were really understanding. 

You are incredible !! 36, we salute you ❤️❤️

Xx

• Like 1

My job is desk work but shift work. I had planned to go at 36 weeks exactly. I only made it to 34 weeks then the doctor signed me off as I wasn’t sleeping. 

My babies came at 36+2 so I’m glad I didn’t go until 36 weeks Id have had no time at all!!

The only bit of advice I’d give is don’t be stubborn like I was looking back I actually wished I’d have gone on maternity leave earlier!! 

I caved 🙈 I'm going to go off on maternity at 33 weeks, starting 20th January.

A teacher told me this morning that a friend of hers was due twins in February, and had them at the weekend. Kinda spooked me a wee bit. 

Glad I've made a decision now.

1 minute ago, Breffni said:

I caved 🙈 I'm going to go off on maternity at 33 weeks, starting 20th January.

A teacher told me this morning that a friend of hers was due twins in February, and had them at the weekend. Kinda spooked me a wee bit. 

Glad I've made a decision now.

Good for you darling, that does sound sensible ❤️

You won't regret the decision ❤️

So you don't have very long left 🙌🙌 huge weight off your shoulders xx