How did you tell your twins apart?

For all you parents of identical twins - how do you tell them apart? Do you find it easy? Is it obvious to you? Everybody said I would just know who’s who but for months they were so alike and I could not tell! They even got them mixed up in the nicu a few times! Wrong name tags and everything! At first I kept their tags on but they grew pretty fast so what I have been doing since they have come home is my twin two always has painted toenails 😂 I’m pretty sure now I could tell them apart by personality and also one is a bit heavier but we live with my family and they mix them up all the time so it’s handy and I don’t have to worry about them getting mixed up when I’m not there. 

3 hours ago, tashalilyandsasha said:

For all you parents of identical twins - how do you tell them apart? Do you find it easy? Is it obvious to you? Everybody said I would just know who’s who but for months they were so alike and I could not tell! They even got them mixed up in the nicu a few times! Wrong name tags and everything! At first I kept their tags on but they grew pretty fast so what I have been doing since they have come home is my twin two always has painted toenails 😂 I’m pretty sure now I could tell them apart by personality and also one is a bit heavier but we live with my family and they mix them up all the time so it’s handy and I don’t have to worry about them getting mixed up when I’m not there. 

Oh no , that's so funny about the NICU!! 

I still occasionally get them mixed - very occasionally though. But early on I did alot! 

One has a streak of blond hair.. but that is getting less reliable now their hair is growing!! 

@Abi.P I always get her girls mixed up (I just know if ones being a monkey it's Mollie 😂😂

Xx

4 hours ago, tashalilyandsasha said:

Hi @tashalilyandsasha honestly when I found out we were having identical twins it was something I was genuinely worried about. People used to think I was joking but I was thinking like what if they got switched when they were really young and then they grew up as the wrong twin - if they ever found out would they forgive us? 😂

Thankfully it wasn't as bad as I suspected - when they were born one of our girls was a noticeable amount bigger and heavier than the other, which really helped. I was hoping one might have had a useful birth mark, mole or something, but nope! We did have a good look all over and about the only thing we were able to find was that one of our girls had a tiny little indent in part of her ear cartilage that the other did not. It was tiny and barely noticeable but something we could fall back on if needed.

As they've gotten a bit older, we can kind of just tell which is nice, although we still get it wrong sometimes! They do sound a little different e.g. their crying so that helps. I find it hardest if they are both laying down in their buggy and I can only see part of them - I always get it wrong then! 😁

Do yours sound different? 

Dad to three girls - aged 5 going on 15, and identical twins aged 10 months! 😊

1 hour ago, James said:

Hi @tashalilyandsasha honestly when I found out we were having identical twins it was something I was genuinely worried about. People used to think I was joking but I was thinking like what if they got switched when they were really young and then they grew up as the wrong twin - if they ever found out would they forgive us? 😂

Thankfully it wasn't as bad as I suspected - when they were born one of our girls was a noticeable amount bigger and heavier than the other, which really helped. I was hoping one might have had a useful birth mark, mole or something, but nope! We did have a good look all over and about the only thing we were able to find was that one of our girls had a tiny little indent in part of her ear cartilage that the other did not. It was tiny and barely noticeable but something we could fall back on if needed.

As they've gotten a bit older, we can kind of just tell which is nice, although we still get it wrong sometimes! They do sound a little different e.g. their crying so that helps. I find it hardest if they are both laying down in their buggy and I can only see part of them - I always get it wrong then! 😁

Do yours sound different? 

That’s so interesting that your girls sound different! Mine make exactly the same noises usually in unison 😂 However I can tell at night because one snores so loudly! She’s like an old man!

4 minutes ago, tashalilyandsasha said:

That’s so interesting that your girls sound different! Mine make exactly the same noises usually in unison 😂 However I can tell at night because one snores so loudly! She’s like an old man!

That's so funny that she snores 😂😂 so cute too ❤️

None of mine snore (that I know of!) But they do sometimes talk and chatter in their sleep xx

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Issy said:

Oh no , that's so funny about the NICU!! 

I still occasionally get them mixed - very occasionally though. But early on I did alot! 

One has a streak of blond hair.. but that is getting less reliable now their hair is growing!! 

@Abi.P I always get her girls mixed up (I just know if ones being a monkey it's Mollie 😂😂

Xx

😂😂😂 @Issy yes that's always right with Mollie!!

Although I think my two girls look so different - they certainly didn't at the beginning but Mollie had fixed talipes so we could tell apart by their feet! x

• Like 1

One of mine is slightly bigger than the other. And the smaller one has a scar under his nose from NICU. It was impossible to tell them apart to begin with when in hospital, that’s why I came up with a clothes system so that when I look back at photos I’ll know who it who. I can tell now but I know in years to come I’ll have no idea

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Evetwins said:

One of mine is slightly bigger than the other. And the smaller one has a scar under his nose from NICU. It was impossible to tell them apart to begin with when in hospital, that’s why I came up with a clothes system so that when I look back at photos I’ll know who it who. I can tell now but I know in years to come I’ll have no idea

Eve that is actually a genius idea with the clothes- to this day most pictures from the early days are just a guess 🙄😂😂😂 xx

10 minutes ago, Issy said:

Eve that is actually a genius idea with the clothes- to this day most pictures from the early days are just a guess 🙄😂😂😂 xx

When they was in hospital the nurses what often dress them when they was allowed to wear clothes so it’s a guess who is who unless I remembered to get their octopuses in the photo. 

the system drives my husband mad, he likes them to just wear whatever. I like there to be a theme so Liam will wear the red stripy top and Zach will wear the same but in blue. 

14 minutes ago, Evetwins said:

When they was in hospital the nurses what often dress them when they was allowed to wear clothes so it’s a guess who is who unless I remembered to get their octopuses in the photo. 

the system drives my husband mad, he likes them to just wear whatever. I like there to be a theme so Liam will wear the red stripy top and Zach will wear the same but in blue. 

I really think that's amazing!! 

And if it makes life easier absoloutly!!

Talking of the octopuses.. we did have different colour ones too which we kept in each Moses basket.. but now I can't remember who had what colour 🙈 xxx