Hello, over the past few days one of my girls has choked twice. Once on some bread and once on something (I think a pasta bit...) Both times I had to do some serious back slaps, the adrenaline just kicked in and I was on it.

She was fine.

Bit I am very nervous and it's making me really anxious 😞

What age did your little ones manage to handle larger bits of food ? 

Issy xx 

This still really worries me. Mine are 18 months (15 corrected) and I’ve only just, in the last month, let them have bigger bits. When we was weaning they would gag a lot so kept them on smoother purée for a bit longer. 

glad your little was fine, it’s usually worse for us when things happen x

2 minutes ago, Evetwins said:

This still really worries me. Mine are 18 months (15 corrected) and I’ve only just, in the last month, let them have bigger bits. When we was weaning they would gag a lot so kept them on smoother purée for a bit longer. 

glad your little was fine, it’s usually worse for us when things happen x

Oh thank you for that reassurance ,I think that I will hold off on bigger things for a while.

I think my anxiety comes from an earlier event with the other twin, when she was 4 weeks old she choked on something (we never found what) and it was really serious , she was grasping for air and turning funny colour, we 999 it. Luckily I have some medical training but when it's your own... 

I had to suck over her nose to dislodge the thing ( what ever it was) .. it was traumatic

We ended up going in ambulance to check her over. The thought of it all in my head is something l never forget :-(((

She was okay though.. I'm just lucky I saw her x

8 minutes ago, Evetwins said:

I know what you mean, we had to have live saving training before we could bring the twins home so I know what to do but the thought of actually having to do it... 

It's horrible just not nice at all 😣😣

Issy x

Hi Issy. I think this is something we all dread. My girls aren’t old enough for bigger bits of food yet but when my smaller one was a few months old she used to choke on her milk all the time and be gasping for breath, I wouldn’t t let anyone else feed her I was so worried. In the end we figured out that she couldn’t handle the higher flow teats and even now at 6 months she is still on the newborn teat. Before they let us take them home from the nicu we had to do life support and chocking training but if that time ever comes I know I’ll be terrified! Good job for staying calm and collected!

• Like 1