Hi,

can anyone help I feel like I’m going down a rabbit hole when it comes to weaning!

my boys are almost 8 months old and weaning has been a nightmare recently. We started at 6 months and all was going well but last month or so they just seem to hate it! 
one won’t open his mouth whatsoever! The other does ok. They won’t entertain blw and just push everything off their trays onto the floor. 
I've just started them on 3 meals a day but I think it’s too much?(all the books seem to say they should be on 3!?!?). I’ve tried to move having their milk after meal times but they aren’t having it and just cry when they are in their high chairs.

current routine is:

7.30 6 ounces of milk(not always finished)

8.30 porridge 

11.00 7 ounces of milk( not always finished)

12.00 lunch puree

3.00 milk 7 ounces

4.30-5 tea purée 

6.30-7 8 ounces(not always finished)

Today I’ve totally given up! They ate very little and I also tried to move the milk feed to after but one just ended up wanting more milk 😫

I feel like I don’t really know what I’m doing.

Any advice please? 

20 hours ago, Pipa said:

Hi,

can anyone help I feel like I’m going down a rabbit hole when it comes to weaning!

my boys are almost 8 months old and weaning has been a nightmare recently. We started at 6 months and all was going well but last month or so they just seem to hate it! 
one won’t open his mouth whatsoever! The other does ok. They won’t entertain blw and just push everything off their trays onto the floor. 
I've just started them on 3 meals a day but I think it’s too much?(all the books seem to say they should be on 3!?!?). I’ve tried to move having their milk after meal times but they aren’t having it and just cry when they are in their high chairs.

current routine is:

7.30 6 ounces of milk(not always finished)

8.30 porridge 

11.00 7 ounces of milk( not always finished)

12.00 lunch puree

3.00 milk 7 ounces

4.30-5 tea purée 

6.30-7 8 ounces(not always finished)

Today I’ve totally given up! They ate very little and I also tried to move the milk feed to after but one just ended up wanting more milk 😫

I feel like I don’t really know what I’m doing.

Any advice please? 

You are doing so well, don't give up!! 

Your daily plan looks pretty good ! 

I think maybe if you were to bring the mid morning bottle to say 10.30 and make it couple ounces smaller , then they might be hungrier for lunch and the same with afternoon bottle , drop to 5 ounces and see. 

Mine I think , feels like a while ago now... We dropped the bedtime bottle around 10 months but they were eating a better dinner so I wouldn't suggest that yet! 

I think alot of it could be that they just aren't hungry enough In between all the milk :)) 

and maybe try either some thicker or thinner purees, maybe texture is a factor. Also are they teething ? Because mine aren't good eaters around bad teething times!! 

what sort of food do they like? Xx

Sorry to hear you're finding it difficult, I must admit I'm dreading this with my two 😬

As I'm not there yet I don't really feel qualified to comment but as @Issy said your routine looks pretty good so don't give up! I'd imagine just keep tweaking it??

Thanks ladies,

Issy,

I have to say I was giving them their feed at 10.30 but then the naps changed and nap till then now 😖
Also I am trialing dropping ounces, it’s been hit and miss as sometimes they are pretty cranky or cry after the bottle as they want more. I’ve decided to take a step back and cut down to two meals a day as I’m not sure they are ready for 3 yet. It’s difficult to say what foods they like as they don’t really show much interest lol. Robin pretty much eats everything and Finn refuses a lot. Banana porridge seems a hit and cheesy potato and leeks. I can get them to nibble on bread with almond butter. Texture wise they do well with thicker purées and I do make them thinner if I think they are doing well with it. 

Robin cut a tooth this week and I’m pretty sure Finn is teething too, so maybe thats a big factor. 
I know I need to cut down the milk its just tricky as I feel like at the moment that’s what they want and food isn’t of any interest to them. I’ll just keep trying but also try not to worry over it as I’m sure it will come right in the end. I also wonder if corrected age plays a part in it too?

Thank you for the advice though it’s much appreciated.

Twinmum88

How old are you little Ones? 
I struggle as I’m not very patient and always worry about them being behind. Tweaking the routine is definitely they way to go I think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, Pipa said:

Thanks ladies,

Issy,

I have to say I was giving them their feed at 10.30 but then the naps changed and nap till then now 😖
Also I am trialing dropping ounces, it’s been hit and miss as sometimes they are pretty cranky or cry after the bottle as they want more. I’ve decided to take a step back and cut down to two meals a day as I’m not sure they are ready for 3 yet. It’s difficult to say what foods they like as they don’t really show much interest lol. Robin pretty much eats everything and Finn refuses a lot. Banana porridge seems a hit and cheesy potato and leeks. I can get them to nibble on bread with almond butter. Texture wise they do well with thicker purées and I do make them thinner if I think they are doing well with it. 

Robin cut a tooth this week and I’m pretty sure Finn is teething too, so maybe thats a big factor. 
I know I need to cut down the milk its just tricky as I feel like at the moment that’s what they want and food isn’t of any interest to them. I’ll just keep trying but also try not to worry over it as I’m sure it will come right in the end. I also wonder if corrected age plays a part in it too?

Thank you for the advice though it’s much appreciated.

Twinmum88

How old are you little Ones? 
I struggle as I’m not very patient and always worry about them being behind. Tweaking the routine is definitely they way to go I think.

How are you getting on? xx