When to take a long car trip?

Hi,

We have 4.5 months old twins (non identical boys). We really want their great grandparents to meet them but we live in Bristol and they are in Newcastle so 5+ hours drive. I worry it’s too much? We would stop. Don’t know how many times is best 1 if they sleep or 2? Seems a lot though in car seats at this age? And then the same journey back in couple of days...

Advice much appreciated 😊

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Letty said:

Hi,

We have 4.5 months old twins (non identical boys). We really want their great grandparents to meet them but we live in Bristol and they are in Newcastle so 5+ hours drive. I worry it’s too much? We would stop. Don’t know how many times is best 1 if they sleep or 2? Seems a lot though in car seats at this age? And then the same journey back in couple of days...

Hi @Letty

The generally accepted rule is 2 hours at a time, so if you follow that you'd need to stop twice.

Some people say less than that (I've seen 30 mins mentioned before!!) but honestly we'd never get more than a few miles from our house in the traffic these days! 🤮

If you read up it's generally to do with restricted airways when babies can't hold their heads up properly yet - how are you two at holding their heads up? I'm guess they're getting there at 4.5 months?

I guess the alternative would be the train if not, but can't see that being fun with twins! 😜

Dad to three girls - aged 5 going on 15, and identical twins aged 10 months! 😊

Thank you for the response. They are fine with holding their heads now. Yes no chance for a train as we need travel cots with us, pushchair and probably half the house really 😜

• Like 2
On 2/18/2020 at 4:43 AM, Letty said:

Thank you for the response. They are fine with holding their heads now. Yes no chance for a train as we need travel cots with us, pushchair and probably half the house really 😜

You're right actually re. bringing all the stuff with you on the train - should have thought of that

I think personally you would be OK with a couple of stops if they're holding their heads up fine now - when are you thinking of going?

Dad to three girls - aged 5 going on 15, and identical twins aged 10 months! 😊

On 2/17/2020 at 9:05 AM, Letty said:

Hi,

I think as long as you are prepared for ALL eventualities then you'll be just fine !!! And they are a good age now not tiny babies which would sound like a very stress idea!! 

Plan plenty of stops along the way and maybe some fresh air a little walk around a service station ect and I think you'll be just fine!!!!!!  The longest we've gone is 3 hours and that was okay just had to plan!!!!

Xxxx

• Like 1
On 2/17/2020 at 9:05 AM, Letty said:

Hi,

Hello 💞

That sounds like a really exciting trip! 

Maybe you could plan to stop after and hour and if they seem happy or asleep then just keep going untill maybe the 2 hour mark then take a stop!

I know there are some new "recommendations" on how long they should be in a seat for but I think also its a one off and common sense must come into play a little !

Like @CityMum said, plan for everything - I remember once we drove to Germany from the south coast of uk with our 18month old at the time and in the first half hour she projectile vommited everywhere and we couldn't easily stop and the whole car smelt of sick 😖 was awful and I wasn't at all prepared for this I only had the holiday clothes as spare 🙈

Xx

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Letty said:

@Issyomg can’t imagine! 😮 thank you for your advice 😊

You'll be just fine, I think sometimes I'm the same I like over think things and then it comes to the time and it's actually pretty easy - just have to know in your head all aspects are covered so nothing can go wrong !

And it will be worth the trip to get the meet up 🙂

Xx