Jump to content

Clingy toddler


Recommended Posts

Hi! 👋 

I’m after some advice!! I’ve got 21month olds... One of the twins has always been a little more high maintenance than the other... but recently she’s so clingy I don’t know what to do with her! She fixes on me or my husband and won’t have anyone else help her and insists on being cuddled and held so much!! At the moment all she wants is daddy and will physically push me away. Do you think she’s reacting to always having to share us with her sister? Or do you think it’s just a phase (everything’s a phase usually right?!)  Thankfully my other twin is chilled and not worried at all. Anyone else experienced anything similar? 😢 

Caroline xxx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Cas5513 said:

Hi! 👋 

I’m after some advice!! I’ve got 21month olds... One of the twins has always been a little more high maintenance than the other... but recently she’s so clingy I don’t know what to do with her! She fixes on me or my husband and won’t have anyone else help her and insists on being cuddled and held so much!! At the moment all she wants is daddy and will physically push me away. Do you think she’s reacting to always having to share us with her sister? Or do you think it’s just a phase (everything’s a phase usually right?!)  Thankfully my other twin is chilled and not worried at all. Anyone else experienced anything similar? 😢 

Caroline xxx

That can't be easy Caroline! Horrible for you to go through! I remember my 5 year old going through this stage , it was around the time she went to nursery , I put it down to having some separation anxiety. Has there been any changes in her routine or anything new recently going on that she could be worried about? 

Issy xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cas5513 said:

Hi Issy

Thanks for the reply! No not that I’m aware of! She’s always been a little more sensitive though. I think maybe she has extreme emotions to deal with!😅

Caroline x

Oh dear.. don't we all 🤣!! I'm hoping for your it's just a "phase" ..  could be a bit of jealously and she's claimed daddy as hers for now! xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @Cas5513 one of ours is definitely a little more high maintenance than the other - I try sometimes not to give into it with the hope of breaking the cycle a little bit, but as you know sometimes that isn't always possible and you just do what you need to do for an easy life! It's hard work being a baby/toddler isn't it!? 😂

  • Thanks 1

Dad to three girls - aged 6 going on 16, and identical twins aged 2 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 10:05 PM, Cas5513 said:

Hi! 👋 

I’m after some advice!! I’ve got 21month olds... One of the twins has always been a little more high maintenance than the other... but recently she’s so clingy I don’t know what to do with her! She fixes on me or my husband and won’t have anyone else help her and insists on being cuddled and held so much!! At the moment all she wants is daddy and will physically push me away. Do you think she’s reacting to always having to share us with her sister? Or do you think it’s just a phase (everything’s a phase usually right?!)  Thankfully my other twin is chilled and not worried at all. Anyone else experienced anything similar? 😢 

Caroline xxx

I've been through this and it does pass ! How is it all going ??? x

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi city mum. No sadly it’s still pretty much the same situation. She’s still quite clingy and goes through phases where she’ll want me but mostly just pushes me away for daddy. It’s sad when she is crying and wants a cuddle but still refuses me when I try. 😢 but I’m trying really hard not to take it personally!! I’m hoping it’s because I’m just part of the furniture to her so she knows I’m always there. Which is better than feeling like I’m not there for her if you know what I mean? Ah it’s so hard!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 8:58 AM, Cas5513 said:

Hi city mum. No sadly it’s still pretty much the same situation. She’s still quite clingy and goes through phases where she’ll want me but mostly just pushes me away for daddy. It’s sad when she is crying and wants a cuddle but still refuses me when I try. 😢 but I’m trying really hard not to take it personally!! I’m hoping it’s because I’m just part of the furniture to her so she knows I’m always there. Which is better than feeling like I’m not there for her if you know what I mean? Ah it’s so hard!!! 

Hope things are improving a little for you ❤️ xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CityMum said:

Hope things are improving a little for you ❤️ xx

Thank you! And yes finally we’ve turned a corner! She has made a total u-turn and now only wants me and not her daddy! It’s made me realise that they just go through these phases and to try not to take it personally, which I definitely did! It went on for a good couple of months but now we’re through it (for now!). Thanks for your words of encouragement xxx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cas5513 said:

Thank you! And yes finally we’ve turned a corner! She has made a total u-turn and now only wants me and not her daddy! It’s made me realise that they just go through these phases and to try not to take it personally, which I definitely did! It went on for a good couple of months but now we’re through it (for now!). Thanks for your words of encouragement xxx

Aww that's so sooo good I'm really pleased. Kids are so strange sometimes🙈 haha 

And it's hard not to take it personally !! 

No problem 🙂 all in this crazy things together !! Xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.